The raw materials used for manufacturing technical ceramics are an important part of what makes advanced ceramics so strong and what allows technical ceramics to withstand high heat. Also, the difference in materials used and the production process has allowed advanced ceramics to differentiate itself from traditional ceramics in various important technical aspects.
However, the raw materials used to make advanced ceramics still remain the most important aspect behind the desirable properties of modern technical ceramics. Let’s take a look at what materials are most commonly used to produce high-quality technical ceramics by an experienced advanced technical ceramics company.
What raw materials are used to make advanced ceramics?
There are different types of raw materials used in the advanced ceramics production process. Each of the raw materials comes with different properties and benefits depending on the projected use of the advanced ceramic part. Here are the two of the most common types of raw materials used for making advanced ceramics, and the ones that we specialize in:
- Aluminium Oxide (Al2O3): Alumina is the most frequently-used advanced ceramic material. Depending on its purity, it provides:
- Good electrical insulation
- Moderate to high mechanical strength
- Excellent compressive strength
- Moderate thermal conductivity
- High wear and corrosion resistance
Alumina is frequently used for:
- Resistor cores
- Heavy-duty forming tools
- Tiles for ballistics and wear protections
- Thread guides in textile industry
- Heat sinks
- Regulator and seal discs
- Small medical tools
- Flow regulation
- Filtration media
- Many, many other uses
- Zirconium Oxide (ZrO2): Zirconia is a raw material that is very resistant to crack propagation. This type of advanced ceramics offers:
- Very high thermal expansion
- Incredible thermal insulation
- Very low thermal conductivity
- Extremely high crack propagation resistance
- Oxygen ion conductivity
These features make zirconia suitable for use in:
- Wire forming tools
- Bridges and crowns in the dental industry
- Insulating rings
- Lambda probes oxygen measurement cells
- Appearance parts such as black watch cases and automobile dash control knobs
Partner with the most reputable advanced technical ceramics company in America
If you’re looking to partner with an experienced Alumina and/or Zirconia technical ceramics manufacturer, you should start working with Wunder Mold. We are the leading manufacturer of these types of technical ceramics which are perfect for use in many different industries.
We use the finest materials available and implement our tried-and-tested manufacturing process to ensure you receive the end-product that meets your high criteria. Contact Wunder-Mold today and let’s see how we can help you improve your systems and bottom line.